StudyNotesWiki

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017
(5 viewing) darylm, Fikie29, Harry Nel, Vanilla V, (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017
Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 3 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 0
hi there.i got 50 for this assignment.May I see how you tackled yours .
edinah.musiyiwa0@mail.com.i could send you my failed one (haha)
maboda
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 3 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 20
An announcement has been added in the "LJU4801-17-S2" site at (my.unisa.ac.za/portal/site/LJU4801-17-S2) at 04-Sep-2017 07:20
Dear students
I'm sorry to have to inform you that Mrs Smith has left the university and will no longer be involved in teaching this module.  This means that I will now be the sole lecturer for this module and this necessitates a number of changes.  These are:
 If you need to contact me you can call me on my office number (012 433 9528).  I am normally only here in the mornings.
You can also call me on a dedicated student cell phone (079 159 4465).  This phone will ONLY be turned on between 08:00 and 16:00 on week days.  It will be on silent for lunch between 13:00 and 14:00.
I prefer that you send me an email with any questions that you might have.  HOWEVER please note the following:
I will not answer questions that have already been asked and answered on the discussion forums, the youtube videos, the podcasts or the feedback.  Ain't nobody got time for that.
If you contact me saying "I don't understand anything" or "I don't understand the Realists" or anything of that nature, my response will not be nice.  You are fourth year students and, if you don't understand anything you might need to start your studies over.
The module is on the same level as an Honours module in other studies.  It requires a lot of independent work and study from you.
Unlike Mrs Smith, I will not go through all the study material in a sort of "mini class" in my office.  There are over a 1000 students in this module and it is unfair to do this for some and not others.
Regarding the assignments, please note that we are still marking.  This delay is the result of the extension the university granted to some students.  I had no control over the extension and will not accept blame for the delay.
HOWEVER, I will post general comments on the assignments under Additional resources and you can then judge your assignment for yourself.  I will ALSO post guidelines for the examination under Additional resources.  Please go through them and do not ask about them separately.  Also, please do not call and ask for tips.  I've been teaching for over 30 years and I don't fall for that.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the semester.
Prof IJ Kroeze
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Attempting to complete an LLB through the maze called UNISA

*** no Whatsapp - DO NOT ask for groups or details ***

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 3 Months ago Karma: 4
il start today with exam prep. I feel like screaming help.......this module is something else
kellymk
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 3 Months ago Karma: 20
Feedback on Assignment 1
You should all receive your feedback soon, if you have not already done so. Here are the typical mistakes that students made:
1. Students did not reference properly. Some are using Harvard (in-text) and some only refer to a source once. The referencing requirements are quite clear and students need to reference properly.
2. Sources that are in footnotes are not in the bibliography and vice versa. You need to make sure all your sources are properly referenced.
3. The biggest problem (and this was also clear from the May/June exam) is that students do not discuss the theory in enough detail. Please think about this: if you do not provide a proper theoretical basis, you really cannot apply it. Your application must rest on something and that something must be good. Otherwise you're just guessing.
4. One of the biggest problems was that students seemed almost to be offended by the question. Please remember: it doesn't matter if you agree with the scenario or not. You still need to answer the question!
Please note that, with the exception of the comments regarding referencing, this also applies to your examination. Please remember that 60 – 70% of the marks allocated for any question is for the theory. ONLY 30% is usually allocated for application. Therefore the emphasis should be on the theory.
Personally, I have changed my mind about Frug. I think it is a typically postmodern approach and it doesn't make provision for the very real physical and psychological differences between men and women. I will post an article that explains why Frug might be wrong. So, there are reasons to disagree with her, but arguing about whether the question is right or wrong is a waste of time.
The feedback for this assignment is divided into two parts. The first part is fairly simple and straightforward and the second part deals with questions 3 and 4 of the assignment.
Firstly we awarded 1 mark each for the honesty declaration; correct footnotes; and correct bibliography. We did not award half marks – it's either right or wrong. Then you had to give the reference to the case and we awarded 1 mark if you got it right. The correct reference is Mapodile v Minister of Correctional Services and others (unreported case) (Case number 1067/2016).
We then awarded 2 marks for explaining what the case was about (an application by a gay inmate to be placed in a cell with other inmates of the same sexual orientation) and 1 mark for the decision (judge granted the application based on right to equality and dignity).
We awarded 4 marks for explaining the approach of the court. This is where it gets interesting. My view is that the approach is positivist (as most cases in SA are) due to the fact that the court refers to the Constitution, subordinate legislation (the regulations) and case law. This is typical of legal positivism as the judge only refers to existing, positive law. (See, for example, [23] where he refers to dignity as a right and not (only) a value. Some students tried to argue that the court used Dworkin, but without the specific steps of Dworkin's constructive interpretation that does not really fly. Some also tried to argue that this was about African Legal Philosophy but, just because the judge mentioned the customs of the Basotho [12] – [13], that doesn't make it African. However, if you gave a good philosophical argument, you would've received some marks.
Using a Realist approach here is tricky and you got 4 marks if you made a cogent argument. I would suggest you should have started by explaining which of the two types of Realism you would use: progressive or radical. A progressive approach would imply that the judge would refer to sociological studies on the harm to gay and lesbian people. (Remember it is an approach based on social sciences.) It would also imply that the judge would have had to refer to historical or other sources to substantiate his views on homosexuality in African communities.
Using a radical Realist approach would have implied that the judge look more critically and politically at the case. In that approach the relative weakness of the gay community (in comparison with other groups) would be mentioned. I would also suggest that a radical Realist approach would make some mention of the fact that inmates are sleeping on the ground as a matter of course. That fact is in glaring contrast to the high-sounding values of dignity and equality.
I realise this is a very general feedback, but along with the feedback on the previous exam, I hope it will help.

(from myunisa forum)
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 20
An announcement has been added in the "LJU4801-17-S2" site at (my.unisa.ac.za/portal/site/LJU4801-17-S2) at 14-Sep-2017 11:42
Dear students
Due to all the usual reasons and the usual suspects, I have had to make alternative arrangements regarding the exams and the year marks.  Here they are:
ALL students registered for the module will have exam admission.  Personally I would not go and write an exam if I hadn't done the assignments, but that's just me.
The year mark will consist of the best mark out of the two assignments submitted.  So, if you submitted both, the best of the two will be your year mark.  If you only submitted one, the year mark will be the mark for that assignment.  If you did not submit either of the two, your year mark will be 0 (zero) but you will be allowed to write the exam.  Because we have to draw the line somewhere.
I hope that this will now solve all the problems.  People who were ill, please note there is no such thing as an "aegrotat assignment" unless you were hospitalised for more than two weeks.
Let me also say to those of you who might be repeating this module next year: this is the absolute LAST time this kind of concession will be done.
Prof Kroeze
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Months, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 7
Hijabi.Lawyer wrote:
An announcement has been added in the "LJU4801-17-S2" site at (my.unisa.ac.za/portal/site/LJU4801-17-S2) at 14-Sep-2017 11:42
Dear students
Due to all the usual reasons and the usual suspects, I have had to make alternative arrangements regarding the exams and the year marks.  Here they are:
ALL students registered for the module will have exam admission.  Personally I would not go and write an exam if I hadn't done the assignments, but that's just me.
The year mark will consist of the best mark out of the two assignments submitted.  So, if you submitted both, the best of the two will be your year mark.  If you only submitted one, the year mark will be the mark for that assignment.  If you did not submit either of the two, your year mark will be 0 (zero) but you will be allowed to write the exam.  Because we have to draw the line somewhere.
I hope that this will now solve all the problems.  People who were ill, please note there is no such thing as an "aegrotat assignment" unless you were hospitalised for more than two weeks.
Let me also say to those of you who might be repeating this module next year: this is the absolute LAST time this kind of concession will be done.
Prof Kroeze

That's a good thing, I guess? It's a result of S. Smith's resignation and extensions of due dates. I hope that it doesn't affect the quality and efficiency of the marking process, including the exam.
joistique
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Aspirant Jurist.

Modules this Semester - HMLLB80, EVI37O2, MRL3701, CIP3701 & LJU4801

~ Nkandla wasn't built in a day ... ~

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 20
joistique wrote:
Hijabi.Lawyer wrote:
Dear students
Prof Kroeze

That's a good thing, I guess? It's a result of S. Smith's resignation and extensions of due dates. I hope that it doesn't affect the quality and efficiency of the marking process, including the exam.

its actually a great thing
since its 40% of the final mark and i got 93%

how is the exam prep for this one?

3 weeks left to go
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 18
Thank God for small miracles this semester!!!

I reeeeally struggled through these assignments. I must admit, Jurisprudence and I do not seem to get on all that well. However, I did unexpectedly well in the assignments, 97% and 100%
Over the moon! I am just hoping I did not do well due to excessively lenient marking, as they seem to be making many allowances this semester due to Ms Smith leaving.

When i realised assignments count for 40%, I was so afraid Now I am elated. That's 40 marks in the bag, so the way I calculated it, I need 40 marks in the exam to pass (worst case scenario). But my aim will be at least 60 marks in the exam to get a distinction.

That said, I have not really started studying for this paper, which is in exactly 15 days eeeeek!
I am working through two other portfolios (which are killing me!), and only plan on started with Phil on Monday. Will get through all my theory, summary notes and essays by Friday - and will hopefully post them up here by then for us to compare and discuss. Then I'll have a few days to memorise everything.

What are you guys busy with, and what's your plan of attack for the fast approaching exams?

All the best everyone I'm rooting for us all!
Pri
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
“I thought of that while riding my bicycle.”

― Albert Einstein

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 1
Hi All,

Can someone please confirm the exam date for me.
I have it as the 18th of October 08:30?
Is this correct?
Fai-fai
Second Semester Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Karma: 0
thats correct
M S SHAIK
Fresh Out of Matric
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 3 Weeks, 6 Days ago Karma: 20
Hi Guys

the lecturer has posted feedback regarding the exam.. any idea when the marks should be released?

obviously the paper have been marked.
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Weeks, 4 Days ago Karma: 20
69% !!!
So chaffed

Goodbye Aristotle
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Weeks, 4 Days ago Karma: 7
Hijabi.Lawyer wrote:
69% !!!
So chaffed

Goodbye Aristotle

Congratulations! I just checked mine too, it's a pass. I've never been this relieved in my entire life!!!
joistique
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Aspirant Jurist.

Modules this Semester - HMLLB80, EVI37O2, MRL3701, CIP3701 & LJU4801

~ Nkandla wasn't built in a day ... ~

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Weeks, 4 Days ago Karma: 18
83% I am beyond excited.

This module was a challenge for me. Glad I put in the effort tho. I even felt the exam to be a bit tough and I was on such downer after reading that everyone felt it to be a breeze....
Gotta thank God for this one
Pri
Second Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
“I thought of that while riding my bicycle.”

― Albert Einstein

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago Karma: 3
Hijabi.Lawyer wrote:
69% !!!
So chaffed

Goodbye Aristotle

Congratulations.

But do not throw poor old Aristotle (or any other philosopher) away. With the ongoing development of the common law due to the Constitution, legal philosophy plays an important part.
filemon
Third Year Boarder
graphgraph
graphgraph
Admitted Attorney - doing modules for non-degree purposes

Re:LJU4801 - Semester 2 2017 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago Karma: 20
filemon wrote:
Hijabi.Lawyer wrote:
69% !!!
So chaffed

Goodbye Aristotle

Congratulations.

But do not throw poor old Aristotle (or any other philosopher) away. With the ongoing development of the common law due to the Constitution, legal philosophy plays an important part.

i have never thrown any of my books away! lol
i want to be a legal practitioner and i mostly cram in exam period
soooo i need all the books
Hijabi.Lawyer
graphgraph
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123

Advertisement

Polls

Are you happy with Unisa's online registration process?